Stats
  • Total Posts: 96218
  • Total Topics: 14178
  • Online Today: 552
  • Online Ever: 1642
  • (August 14, 2014, 05:49:01 PM)
Users Online

YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN TO THIS WEBSITE

Please login to your account, or register a new account if you do not have one.  When you view this website without logging in, you are viewing this site in "Guest" mode and you will not be able to see any images and more importantly, won't be able to download any schematics that our members have made available on MCSchematics.com

- Thank you -

This message will go away when you are logged into an account on this site.

537 Guests, 10 Users

ENJOYING THE VIEW?

Thanks for stopping by McSchematics.com, home to over 10,000 schematics!

After choosing some schematics to download from our wide variety of schematics available to you, please feel free to enlarge this collection by including your own builds, be it complete ones or simply parts or pieces of a larger build that never came to fruition. Who knows? Maybe your schematic(s) will at the top of the frontpage for the whole world to see.
Topic rating:
  • Currently 5.00/5

Author Topic: [WIP] Tatsuyama - 龍山 - Empire of the Dragon Mountain  (Read 91854 times)

Offline Wooraah

• Supporter
  • Minecraft Username: Wooraah
[WIP] Tatsuyama - 龍山 - Empire of the Dragon Mountain
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »
v1.0 of the map is now complete, check out the launch thread here

Thread now locked.... because of launch.

The Project:

This is to be by far my biggest project in minecraft so far, so I've decided to share it with this wonderful community. I plan to release early versions of the map and related schematics once I feel that work has progressed enough. Tatsuyama, the Empire of the Dragon Mountain will be a fully detailed Feudal Asian (Japanese/Chinese) city map with many several districts and many unique features you will not have seen before.

The Concept:

My initial was inspired by some 3d modelling and subsequent binvox import of a dragon (see here http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=2208.0), and I came up with the concept of an ancient sleeping dragon who forms part of a mountain range that protects the Empire. My thinking has evolved from there, and the map will eventually have a fully fledged back story.

More about Tatsuyama:

Tatsuyama, (龍山) means "Dragon Mountain" in Japanese, and felt the most authentic after searching around for a few appropriate names in Google translate.

The symbol seen in the attached image represents the belief system of the people of Tatsuyama with the dragon protecting them on one side, the ocean on the other, with the golden Buddha deity keeping a watchful eye. You will see the symbol recurring around the empire in various forms when it gets to publication stage.

The Emperor believes himself to be a direct descendant of the of the dragon mountain itself, and it is with an iron grip that he rules over his people. However, recently whispered rumors have begun to circulate in the tea houses that the Emperor's health is failing, and with no legitimate heir, the future of the empire hangs in the balance.

I have some hazy plans to perhaps create a kind of emergent rival clan to the Empire of Tatsuyama, and build an outpost for them in another part of the map at a later date, but this is plenty to keep me busy for now. - Update, I may end up using the excellent work on Himeji by matthewianmcc here: http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=1240.0 and/or Omgitsjeff's Matsumoto castle here: http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=2902.0 depending on how well they fit into the world.

Methodology:

- I've already imported the Dragon and the Golden Buddha using Binvox, as well as a small dolphin in the bay, but this is likely to be it for that for now.
- The remainder of the work will be carried out in game with the help of WorldEdit and Single Player Commands to speed the process up, but I feel i can't get the detail I need from working with MCEdit, so I'm unlikely to be using that much, although I may do some proof of concept testing and messing around with layouts and stuff in MCEdit so I can see how things look.

Current Status:

Overall Status (88% Complete)
Time Spent so far: Around 315 hours
Date Started: 5 April 2011

- Find appropriate map seed   - Complete (using "torey0")
- Custom Texture Pack 100% Complete - See http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=3130.msg21621;topicseen#new
- Town Centre Design 70% Complete
- Town planning and layout  85% Complete
- City walls and towers 80% complete
- City Gates 4 of 5 complete See http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=2482.0
- Basic terraforming 95% complete
- Main Palace 50% complete Main Palace exterior complete, Summer Place to complete.
- Temples and Pagodas 100% complete See http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=4983.msg35534;topicseen#new
- Residential Districts   70% complete
- Fishing Village   80% complete - might add one more building.
- Commercial District  95% complete
- Docks, including at least 2 Asian ships   100% complete
- Ruins of an ancient culture  100% complete See http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=3581.msg25216#msg25216.
- Gardens 25% complete
- Farms 100% complete
- Bridges 100% complete
- Theatre and Art Gallery 100% complete See http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=4759.msg34096;topicseen#new
- Mausoleum Not started
- Minecart system Not started

Newest versions of the plans for the world map and updated images of progress are included later in the thread.

Latest images are shown below.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:15:20 AM by Wooraah »

MCSchematics

[WIP] Tatsuyama - 龍山 - Empire of the Dragon Mountain
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »

Please login to your account, or register a new account if you do not have one.  When you view this website without logging in, you are viewing this site in "Guest" mode and you will not be able to see any images and more importantly, won't be able to download any schematics that our members have made available on MCSchematics.com

- Thank you -

Offline Wooraah

• Supporter
Re: Tatsuyama - 龍山 - Empire of the Dragon Mountain (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
Wall, Tower and Gate Schematics available at: http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=2482.0

1st ship of the imperial fleet here: http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=3459.msg24420;topicseen#new

Ancient Ruins (Angkor Wat) here: http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=3562.0

Latest WIP images and map shown in this post.

A full imgur gallery of all WIP images is here: http://wooraah.imgur.com/tatsuyama____empire_of_the_dragon_mountain#eL5bh
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:41:50 AM by Wooraah »

MCSchematics

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »

Offline Dragonrider

• Why won't my .gif work -.-
  • Minecraft Username: DragonriderSaiga
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:05:15 PM »
I've got to admit this is pretty darn amazing. I look forward to seeing some in-game shots of your work :)
  • My Minecraft Server Address: Private, open by appointment only!

Offline Wooraah

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:15:16 AM »
I've got to admit this is pretty darn amazing. I look forward to seeing some in-game shots of your work :)

Thanks, might have guessed you'd like something dragon themed :D

Offline Dragonrider

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:10:20 AM »
Thanks, might have guessed you'd like something dragon themed :D

I love dragons. and I love intricately built structures that pay head to minor details!

Offline wyldone28

• Supporter
  • Minecraft Username: wyldone28
Re: [WIP] Tatsuyama - 龍山 - Empire of the Dragon Mountain
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:17:49 AM »
awesome work so far. Can't wait to see more.

Offline Wooraah

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:44:53 PM »
Status Update

Ok time for an update, see if I can build a little excitement  [winky] I will update the front post with progress, and a new map with thinking around areas, buildings etc is linked below.

I've also added a few new things I want to add on the map, including an imperial guard headquarters, a lava pit for executions, and some secret stuff that I won't reveal yet.

Recent Activities

After a lot of deliberation I decided to rotate my town centre so that I could get a better angle for sunrise and sunsets over the iconic builds in this project. Turned out to be a major decision, as re-blending a square of 850x850 back into the landscape after a 90 degree turn is a BIG job. I'm still not 100% happy with the results yet, as some areas still look cut and pasted, as you can probably see in the updated map but I'm there on most of that.

Due to the scale of the project, I want to get the major infrastructure done first in this project, so next on the agenda was road planning, and terraforming inside the central area. This included clearing many of the the trees within a 700x700 area, then laying the routes in a semi logical way, which went ok, but still some work to do. I'll reforest later when the majority of buildings are down.

Next on the agenda was the walls and towers for the town, and although I ended up spending waaay longer than planned on this part, (around 15 hours for the design, and 6 hours actually putting them in the map,  I'm really happy with the results. To make my life somewhat easier I developed a modular style of towers and walls, which I'll attach below, and spent a long time designing an effective double helix staircase system for the towers.

The installation of the walls took a fair bit of terraforming to smooth out the hills and valleys (see all the dirt on the map?), but the grass will grow back in time, so it'll look good.

Tell me what you think, I really like the look, although i may go through and replace every other window on the walls manually.

Next on the list

Next phase is probably finishing off the roads to link up the walls, then the big step of designing and creating 4 or 5 city gates. I'll probably do the walls for the summer palace in a different style, so I haven't put them in yet.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:26:54 PM by Wooraah »

Offline Wooraah

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »
The wall and tower schematics come as follows:

1) Towers on their own
2) Towers with 1 exit (using these at the limits of my borders where the walls meet the ocean) - rotate as per needs.
3) Towers with 2 exits - L shape, again rotate as per needs.
4) Towers with 2 exits - straight, to break up long straight sections of wall.
5) 3 block wide repeatable wall sections - Which can be cloned ideally in straight lines, but also fairly effectively in a sloping diagonal (i.e. not 45 degrees, but around 15 degrees, or 1 block up/down every 3 setps, you'll see what I mean in the screen shots i hope.

Offline Crunchygoat

• Minecraft Username: crunchygoat
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:02:10 AM »
Hey Wooraah

Registered here looking for some Asian type schematics and this is one of the first posts I come across. This looks like an amazing project, but pretty big, careful you dont get burnt out by it, but loving the look so far. I'll try out the walls and towers now, but shouldn't you post them in the published schematics? I don't think many people will see them here, and they look like they work well.

Offline Wooraah

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
Hi Crunchy

Thanks. In terms of the walls and towers, I'm not sure how to publish to be honest. This map is going to generate maybe 20 different schematics, so it's a bit spammy if I publish them all individually. I may publish the walls and towers when I've made a gate or two, as they are pretty useful for any city build, but other stuff will be more specific to this project.

In terms of the workload, yes it's taking a while, but breaking it down into chunks like i have helps I think, get one project done at a time.

Offline Crunchygoat

• Minecraft Username: crunchygoat
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
Omg, I just checked out those towers on my map, that double helix staircase is awesome, good work.

Offline Dragonrider

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 07:03:48 PM »
Hey Wooraah

Registered here looking for some Asian type schematics and this is one of the first posts I come across. This looks like an amazing project, but pretty big, careful you dont get burnt out by it, but loving the look so far. I'll try out the walls and towers now, but shouldn't you post them in the published schematics? I don't think many people will see them here, and they look like they work well.

^ i agree with this guy. Don't get burnt out!
so far it looks amazing. keep up the good work :)

Offline UndeadJesus

• Minecraft Username: UndeadJesus
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 01:22:15 AM »
I think it would look cooler with a dragon skeleton :D

thats what i'm working on now, i'm using the binvox model as a base

Offline Wooraah

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »
I think it would look cooler with a dragon skeleton :D

thats what i'm working on now, i'm using the binvox model as a base

Interesting thought, keep me posted on how it looks.

The dragon is already in the map and integrated into a mountain range on my map, so I dont think I'm going back on that now, but I need to tweak it a bit more to look right, so no screenies yet.

Offline User Deleted Accounts

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 08:34:33 AM »
Wow, amazing. This is gonna be great once its fully complete..

Offline moto_chic

• Minecraft Username: moto_chic
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 08:51:05 AM »
Amazing work! I have to say that is definitely my favorite wall design i have seen so far and i love the giant Buddha ruins. Cant wait to see more more updates! Also what texture pack are you using?
Senior Admin @ http://clanfng.com/ check us out!

Offline Wooraah

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 09:12:49 AM »
Thanks guys.

It's a custom pack, with custom art. See a copy of the current terrain.png below, still some tweaks needed.

It's based on Borderlands 128x128 with lots of custom elements. I'll look to release it when the map is done.

For the finished pack, please go to: http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=3130.msg21621;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:53:16 PM by Wooraah »

Offline last_exile

• Minecraft Username: last_exile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Wow. this is pretty much amazing! are you planning to release this on a server? cause we would love to host you if you are, or haven't already chosen one.

anyways, incredible work, i'll be following this for sure!
  • My Minecraft Server Address: game.minecraftworlds.info

Offline Wooraah

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 03:43:20 AM »
Wow. this is pretty much amazing! are you planning to release this on a server? cause we would love to host you if you are, or haven't already chosen one.

anyways, incredible work, i'll be following this for sure!

Erm, I hadn't given much thought to server release until you raised the topic tbh. I'll be releasing the various components as schematics, as well as the whole map as a schematic (which will be pretty big as you can imagine). Feel free to host it wherever you would like. Just give credit as appropriate.

Walls, towers and gates are already available at http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=2482.0

Advertisement

Hey! If you use AdBlock, please disable it on our website, advertisements keep the website running and we promise not to obstruct your view. Our ads are chosen by Google based on your interests.

anything